Monday, July 26, 2010

Swim Lessions

Molly and Taylor finished up swim lessons last week. I was a little skeptical at first. I used to teach swim lessons during summer break when I was in high school and college. One thing that I do remember when teaching little ones how to swim is that the parents should back off. Acutally this was one of the cardinal rules of swim lessons...parents need to stay out of sight. The first day of class I was very annoyed to see that there were so many parents actually standing pool side talking to their children. These were only 30 minute classes and there were about 6 kids in each class. I don’t know how in the world these parents thought they were helping their children (or mine) to learn to swim by standing right there distracting the class and the instructor.

Now, I understand now as a parent all about being over protective, I’m actually a little neurotic when it comes to my children. But, there is a reason why parents should not go sit next to their kid in the classroom when they are trying to learn to read. And the same rule should apply when they are learning how to swim! I was able to sit in the shaded area only steps from the pool. I felt this was a comfortable distance, and I guess after a few days of class (and maybe some complaints from other parents) the hovering parents did to.

The session started out as a two week session, which actually turned into three weeks because of make up rain days.
The very last day of class the girls were able to get a private session. Their instruction had kept them in the 3 foot area through the course of the swim lessions, but the last day of class he decided to venture down to the deep end.
Molly and Taylor followed him right up the stairs to a rather large slide with noodles tucked under their arms. I got as close as I could with the camera without being noticed, and I have to admit I did not think they would actually do it. But sure enough within seconds Taylor was down the slide and in the water and Molly followed right behind her.
I actually don't know who this is going up the stairs and down the slide....
They then moved over to the diving board and they both jumped off without hesitation. I could NOT BELIEVE IT! Then as we were not amazed enough...they both jumped off the diving board WITHOUT THE NOODLES and swam to the ladder with a little assistance from their instruction. It was all I could do to hold back from jumping up and down, cheering and screaming out their names.
Off the board with noodles...
And off the board without noodles...

When class was over they came running over to Stuart and me talking a mile a minute. They were so proud of themselves!
Their instruction was so nice to pose for a picture...

So, in the end, swim lessons were very much worth it!

If I were to do it over again, I would sign them up for private swim lessons
(which I will defiantly do next summer).

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I was just thinkning about swim lessons for Mason the other day. But like you, I used to teach swimming lessons & feel like I should just take him to the pool & teach him. (ya right!) Since that hasn't happened (& since I'm very pregnant!) and after reading what you said about the parent taking a step back, I feel like I should enroll him (next Summer) into a class. Thanks for the feedback & great job Molly & Taylor!

Christy said...

Melissa - I have a great person for lessons next year. When Mackenzie was little, we did EVERYTHING, Mommy & Me lessons, Red Cross, and so on and so on. Everything without success. We started going for "private" lessons (actually more like 2 teachers to six students) and by the second lesson Mackenzie was going under and was swimming like a fish in no time. With Peyton we just waited until she was old enough to take from the same teacher, and had the same results. I've shared her information with other friends and they have all been very happy! Parents are not allowed to be near during lesssons.